The Internet is the talk of today. each and everyone, at present, is familiar with that term. internet is the largest collection of worldwide networks that are interlinked together. presently several lacs of computers are interconnected with each other to share and exchange information by following certain rules.
these are pre-defined sets of rules, which are called protocols. there are different ways to communicate or exchange information like e-mail, website, on-line chatting etc.several lacs of individuals, institutions, government offices, departments are exchanging information using worldwide connectivity. internet is a worldwide network of networks. it s=is also the network of networks that connects millions of computers(called hosts). when you connect two or more computers you form a network.
the computer is the network can communicate with each other. thousands of different computer types exist within this internetwork. these computer use variety of network software. internet is a network of networks that connects computers all over the world. the internet started with a project called ARPANET (around the late 1960s) which was sponsored by the united states department of defense, an advanced research project agency (ARPA).
History of Internet
Internet start with a project called the ARPANET which was sponsored by the united states department of defense, an advanced research project agency (ARPA). The department of defense (DOD) thought of building a network that would work under adverse conditions. the original idea was to build a network capable of carrying military and government information during a “nuclear event”.
till the late 1970s ARPANET operated to provide a connection facility to around a dozen research sites. the internet has its roots in the U.S. military which funded a network in 1970. Later in 1982, ARPA established the Transmission control protocol (TCP) and internet protocol (IP), as the protocol suite, commonly known as TCP/IP – a connection protocol between sites, which is still in use today and is the primary method of connecting to the internet. the number of networks, Machines, and users connected to the ARPANET grew rapidly after TCP/IP became the only official protocol on Jan. 1, 1983.
as more and more computers connected, the ARPANET was replaced by NFSNET, which was funded by the national science foundation. Thanks to the National Science Foundation (NSF), USA, whose network of strategically located supercomputers, NSFNET and allowed the people to share information from home or their institutions. The other networks, which developed in parallel, like BITNET of IBM, X.25, Frame relay, based in Europe, and UUCP based in bell labs got slowly absorbed or got connected to the internet, in order to provide a unified information-sharing medium.
The network although started in the US, slowly started reaching other countries by connecting the networks of other countries.
Facilities of Internet
- The Internet can work as an Electronic Mailing System.
- It can have access to the distant database of any company/organization placed in a foreign country.
- we can exchange our idea through the internet. This form of exchange has now taken the form of chatting.
- the internet can be used for publicity and advertisements. popular websites provide the facility of advertising on their main page or any linked page.
- We Can Use The Internet For The Purpose Of Education And Study.
- The Internet Is A Sea Of Knowledge. You Ask Any Questions, It Will Provide You Several Suitable And Related Answers.We Can Download Information, Software Programs, Shareware From The Internet.
- We Can Upload Information On The Websites. The Internet Can Be Used For Commerce.
- Various Activities Like E-Commerce, E-Trading, Internet Banking, Airlines, And Railways Ticket Booking, Etc Take Place Through The Internet.